I finished my second style arc Stella Coat a few weeks ago, but have just got behind on my blogging.
After a very sensible camel cashmere version in January, I wanted to make a summery linen version. Is this too crazy? It definitely is a bit of sunshine and the linen fabric is quite a good choice. This is a viscose linen, so all of the look, without all of the crumple. I don't think it is still available.
I cut a size 12, reducing the shoulders by 5/8" and raising the waist by 1". I wanted a jacket rather than a coat so I took around18" from the length. This gave me a little problem with the pocket bags which dropped below the hem length. I ended up solving this by chain tacking the bags up.
I just interfaced the collar lapels, and perhaps used a slightly too firm an interfacing in contrast to the rest of the jacket. I probably would give the whole jacket a lighter interfacing if I was to make it again.
All the seams are top-stitched, though it doesn't show up much on this busy fabric.
I really like the little stand up collar and it is quite easy to achieve, so long as you get it level. I added a couple of shoulder cigarettes (2 rolled up oblongs 9" x 7") to add a bit more structure without the more substantial structure you get from shoulder pads.
I like this pattern a lot, but this instructions are extremely minimal (even worse than Burda) so definitely not good for beginners. The jacket is fully lined, this time in a champagne lining.
Just a heads up, this is the last time you will see long hair having a bad day for a while. I have had it all chopped off. The funny thing is that now I have short hair, I am completely rethinking my wardrobe. The 50s fitted vibe seems less appropriate and actually the dress I was wearing when I had my hair cut which is Vogue Rachel Comey seems much more apt! Anyway the time I save on washing and drying my hair will mean more time for sewing!