First, and my favourite, the Sew Over It Joan dress. This is a pattern for wovens, but I though it would be more comfortable in knit and this is in some lovely wool jersey from my stash (from Fabrics Galore Nov 2016 - great fabric).
I had to make a lot of changes. Cutting a size 12 didn't work and I had to make all the side seams and back 7/8" to get the fit. I also took 1/2" from the shoulder width and moved the darts in by 1" (they also need lowering by 3/8"). I normally need to take the wait up by 1", but didn't for this dress and as you can see it is sitting a bit above my natural waist, so that might be an issue for those with a longer body.
Construction was quite easy. I didn't need the zip. The kickpleat wouldn't work as per the pattern as there were too many layers of thick fabric, so I just made a 6" slit and then topstitched. I accidentally sewed the neck on the wrong side and so had to take 4" of one side, but I think this looks good. The only problem I have had is that the neckband is slipstiched in place and on a stretch fabric, this does pop. I love this dress and have already got lots of wear, it is lovely and cosy. I will definitely make another.
Next the Sew Over It Cowl dress. This is a pretty easy pattern. Only 4 pieces and with a belt it is quite stylish. The cowl is just a wider unfaced bit with a narrow hem that flops, and I'm not sure if it feels finished enough for me.
Nothing much more to say. I love this fabric which came from Stoff and Still, but was again from my stash. I would use the fabric again (the colour is a sort of marled dusky rose), but probably won't make the pattern again as I prefer a more significant cowl.
Finally the Vintage shirt dress made from Liberty Cord (bought for £4.50 a metre). I'm still deciding on this one. Perfectly wearable, but I think possibly my style has changed and I definitely prefer the Joan dress on me (60s rather than 50s, who would have thought).
I cut a 12 grading to a 10 at the waist, and even with another 2/5" off at the side seams it is still a bit roomy. I would cut a 10 grading to 8 another time. I took 1/2" from the shoulders and because I don't like gathered sleeves I changed the sleeve cap to a smoothly fitted one, and this seemed to work.
It was fairly straight forward to make. Though as I don't want to fasten right up, you can see the lapels are sticking out a bit, so more pressing needed. The bodice fits quite well at the bust. It's quite nice and I know lots love this pattern, I can see why ... and lovely for a swish!
So I've made a good start to 2018. I don't really make resolutions and don't want to have too many enforced plans, however, I am going to take part in selected Sew My Style challenges. I also want to try some new techniques; a Sophie swimsuit, a bra and finally get trousers beaten! I have been trying to make progress with my too large stash, however, what I have realized is that generally it is full of summer-type fabrics, so that means I don't feel too guilty about buying winter fabrics .... any excuse!