I rarely join a pattern rush, but did make an exception for Tilly and the Buttons Rosa dress, just because I love it.
I really enjoyed making this dress. I love the easy shirt dress style, but with so many features. The combination of Tilly's excellent instructions (her illustrated booklets are probably the best instructions in any patterns I have tried) with lots of interesting details makes this a perfect improver pattern to stretch your skills.
I pretty much copied the pattern version and made mine in a light-weight denim, unfortunately that means it is bit cold for now, so I haven't got much wear from it yet! The princess seams in the front and back give a really nice fit. I could possibly have fitted a little bit more, but I'm not sure you want to be too tight on this style of dress and I am happy with the finished dress.
I often duck out of patch pockets because it is difficult to get them looking good, but I felt this dress needed them and they did work out pretty well.
I used a little bit of liberty fabric in the undercollar for a flash of colour. I used a metallic style buttons and I think snaps would also look good.
I made one huge mistake. I didn't like the effect of a turned back cuff showing the seams so decided to add a false cuff, and somehow I managed to catch the sleeve in my overlocker and make a cut! This meant that I had to move the tabs to the back of the sleeve to cover the repaired rip. They look a bit odd here, but wearable.
I also made a McCalls 7100 as part of their sewalong. This wasn't sewalong as I know it. It was a facebook page with some tips and hints. This was actually a pretty tricky pattern and I could have done with more support!
The pattern is nice. A raglan style with opportunities for colour blocking. I rather weirdly decided I wanted a Chinese silk effect so bought this Satin Brocade from Minerva crafts at £7.99 (still in and available in other colours). Lovely fabric but boy does it fray! I used satin back crepe (dull side) for the sleeves. I spent a lot of time trying to match the dragon in the centre on either side of the zip.
The collar is made from some black ribbing and this was fairly straightforward. I've only done one other open-ended zip like this and I was quite pleased with the end result.
The bit which was really tricky was the front waist panels attached to more ribbing.
The pattern doesn't come with a lining, so I drafted my own, which I also think gives a bit more body. Not sure if I would recommend this one.are really in and there are lots of patterns to choose from and some may both fit better and be less fiddly! However, I think I will enjoy wearing this in the warmer weather perhaps with jeans.
I had a lovely uiet Christmas, Dan and Gemma have been here for 2 weeks and I am so enjoying that. The dogs joined in the fun!
It was also my birthday on the 29th of December and I had a lovely day. Lunch at Carnforth Station which is where Brief Encounter was filmed and which celebrates the 40s; one of our favourite cafes.
This is Dan and me by the Station clock as seen in the film (wearing McCalls 7257)
Then we went to the cinema to see Fantastic Beasts and Wear to Find them and being the Harry Potter fans that we are we loved it. So a lovely break and now back to work. I'll be covering some of my future sewing plans in my next blog, so until then ..... Happy New Year.