Tuesday 7 June 2016

The Inari Tee

You may remember my first Inari Tee dress was a disaster and went straight to the charity shop. This was mainly due to the arms and shoulders being uncomfortable.  But I wasn't ready to give up yet, so here is the second version and much more successful.



I was heartened to read the Karen from Did You Make That also had problems with the fit around the sleeves and so I followed her advice to change the arm scythe and sleeve completely.  (As I mentioned previously this is a great post and the video links make real sense).  This worked much better though there is some tightness as you can see on the upper bust and the shoulder seam is very low.


I cut a size 12, though shaved a little more off the back sides (nearer the size 10) and added a little to the length.  I do wish Named added the seam allowance to their patterns, its a real pain having to add you own allowances.


The fabric is Luxury Crepe from SewOverIt.  I haven't really decided what I think of it.  The colour is great, although would you tell me if I looked like a big banana?!  The fabric itself is really tough to sew, I could hardly get pins through it, and I think you can see from the seams above that it really didn't press well.


So I'm still not sure what I think about this pattern.  I like it from many angles and then at other times I think it makes me look enormous.  So different to my normal fitted styles.  I will wear this, but I'm not sure when and where.  It is also one of the dresses which is most comfortable stood up, the skirt rides surprisingly high when you sit down!

 
I've just had a lovely half-term with gorgeous weather.  My sewing pal Gary and I went to the Adamley Silk sale near Macclesfield.  It was quite a long way to go and much of the silk was quite firm (probably produced for ties) but what bargains.  Believe it or not these two rolls below where only £10 a roll and there are metres on each roll.  Watch out for kimono dressing gowns for Dan and Gemma and a dress or two for me in the taupe.  We also visited Minerva and there was more adding to the stash!

 
We had a lovely lunch at this fabulous hall.


Back to work now, and actually it has been unbearably hot there, so having wished for sunshine for months I'm now hoping for a bit of a cool down. 

3 comments:

  1. Your dress looks really nice, and how wonderful to buy low cost silk. I have used some of the stiffer tie/waist coat silks and they are not much good really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I haven't worn it yet, maybe feel a bit conspicuous in it! Yes the silk maybe a bit of a white elephant. More in future posts.

      Delete
  2. Your dress looks really nice, and how wonderful to buy low cost silk. I have used some of the stiffer tie/waist coat silks and they are not much good really.

    ReplyDelete