Sunday 29 October 2017

Style Arc Nina Cardigan; #cosycardigan challenge





I've had this ribbed-knit in my stash for some time, bought by the kilo at Abakhan in Preston.  The cosy cardigan gave me the nudge to get it sewn.  I wanted a pattern which had a bit of shaping to it, so chose the StyleArc Nina cardigan.
Image result for stylearc nina cardigan




It has a fitted waist and then the square peplum makes a waterfall front.  I cut a size
10, because although this is for a size 36.5" and I'm 37.5" I thought the shoulders and waist would be a better fit and there is plenty of room.  I didn't want to have overlocked exposed edges and didn't think the rib-knit would hem effectively, so I have left the front edges and hems raw.  I usually hate raw edges but this seemed like the only solution.  It looks OK, but I don't suppose it will stand up well to washing.  I managed to squeeze it from 1.5m of fabric.






StyleArc patterns are stylish and this is no different, however, as I have mentioned before the very brief instructions make them difficult for beginners.


 

You can wear the style with or without a belt.




The sleeves were too long and I took them up by 1 1/4" and also narrowed them by 3/8".  I twin needled the sleeve hem.



The back is fairly plain but fits quite nicely at the waist.  Overall, I like it (especially the colour) and might make it again with the right fabric.





4 comments:

  1. I really like the shape Mags. I know what you mean about this kind of knit being tricky to hem. Hard to know what to do. I guess if you ever got your hands on some of that fuzzy overlocker yarn in a good match it would make for a nice finish if you just turned up a hem. Though I've never used the fuzzy stuff myself, I've heard good things about it.
    Nice to meet you at SewBrum too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you Diane. I haven't seen the fuzzy but will look out for it. Just posted my Brum haul on instagram really pleased with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colour is lovely and looks good paired with the plain black underneath. You could always cheat with the hems and get some of that double sided sticky tape that non-sewers use for hemming. I've used with knits before and it works a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried that, good idea, does it wash ok?

      Delete