Wednesday, 18 February 2015

McCall's 6696 Shirtwater number 2

This is my second attempt at McCall's 6696 and generally I'm happier still with the result (first one blogged here).  My last version was a bit baggy on the waist and this time I graded from a slightly generous 14 1/2 to a 12 at the waist.  This made it look very angled on the pattern, but it seems to have worked.


I took out my usual 1"from the bodice length as I have a high waist.  What I love about this pattern is that it has a C cup size, without having to do a full-bust adjustment.  It is really fitted, but feels comfortable.  I made the belt loops this time, and I do like it with a belt.


What I forgot to do is to take 2" from the back gathering as I did the first time, so it is a little "puffy" but not too bad.


The fabric is the same as my bruyere shirt, but in the burgundy colourway.   There is an olive colourway too, perhaps I'll get some of that too.  I love this fabric.   Its great to sew, soft but with some structure.


I think the other thing I love about this dress is how neat you can make it inside.


I used French seams throughout, and this was my first time using French seams for the sleeves.   I wasn't sure how this would work, but it went well and wasn't much more difficult. I missed out the pockets, which I don't really use so that the side seams were neat.






I'm pleased with this dress (though a short-sleeved cotton dress isn't that seasonal).  I'll be making at least one more version, this time in liberty carline tana lawn (the purple colourway) which I got for the bargain price of £6 per meter from Standfast and Barracks in Lancaster.  It will be thinner, so one for more spring like weather.
 
I'm enjoying a few days off over half term and taking a pattern cutting class on trousers (more later), so lots of sewing fun and challenge!  Hope you are having some sewing fun!

3 comments:

  1. I love that fabric, so perfect for a shirtdress. I took an inch or so from the centre back of my second version and was very pleased with the decrease in puff, as drafted it's a bit too much for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I could kick myself for not taping the pattern to rake out that excess! Next time.

      Delete
  2. Your sweater is super impressive, as is the dress. Your finishing skills are very good! I don't think the "puff" detracts from the overall look of the dress. I must check out PomPom, seems like it has some interesting designs.

    ReplyDelete